Green Business Certification
Environmental Policy Statement of The Cottage Inn & Spa
We, The Cottage Inn & Spa, as a CERTIFIED GREEN BUSINESS incorporate sustainability into our core business operations through internal and external efforts. Specifically, we shall adopt the following policies and practices:
- Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
- Purchase environmentally preferable products
- Conserve energy, water and natural resources
- Practice green business policies on checklist
We, The Cottage Inn & Spa: educate employees on resource conservation and pollution prevention through –
- Training programs (posting signage and explaining what we are doing and why we are choosing to put environmental policies in place) to educate employees on proper recycling & composting practices, resource conservation ideas, importance of low-toxic purchasing, etc.
- Inform employees of environmental issues
Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
We, The Cottage Inn & Spa:
- Reduce waste at the source by buying in bulk, and eliminating disposable products such as dishes and single serve water bottles
- Reuse equipment such as desks, lamps, furniture, or donate usable items to charities
- Strive to reach Zero Waste by recycling all resources such as paper, plastics, cardboard, glass, and aluminum AND composting all food and plant discards.
We, The Cottage Inn & Spa, reduce the use of toxic materials to protect employee health and the environment. Specifically we:
- Only purchase low toxic janitorial cleaning products accepted on SFapproved, Green Seal or have an 8.1 rating or above on Good Guide (SunGold, Alcohol, Distilled White Vinegar).
- Lamps - Purchase T8’s or T5’s, low mercury fluorescent lamps, LEDs and/or low wattage halogen lights./li>
- Implement an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) program when controlling pests.
- Have disposed all toxic products safely such as old paints or non-approved cleaning products and recycle CFL’s, fluorescent tubes, and batteries.
- Avoid purchasing toxic substances and any aerosol cans.
Environmentally Preferable Purchasing
- Office paper with 100% post consumer recycled content
- Paper towels with 35% post-consumer waste
- Toilet Paper with 10% post-consumer waste
- Tissue with 10% post-consumer waste
- Permanent dishware and use bulk items
- Energy efficient lighting fixtures
- The most water efficient toilets, showerheads and faucet aerators
- Choosing Energy Star rated appliances and office equipment, when replacing old appliances
- Choosing EPEAT certified computers (http://epeat.net/), when replacing old computers
We, The Cottage Inn & Spa, conserve fossil fuels by:
- Promoting the use of public transit and commuter alternatives
- Participating in spare the air campaigns
- Using energy-conserving hardware programs and unplugging equipment
- Reusing and refusing packaging materials
- Emphasizing repurposing of items in lieu of purchasing new items
We, at The Cottage Inn & Spa do everything we can to make the planet now and forever a better place.